Empowering People Through Cooperation
- Owned by the customers it serves
- Operated by local management and employees
- Is a not-for-profit organization
- Members contribute to and control the capital of the organization
- Returns profits above expenses to its members
- Helps develop our communities through policies accepted by members
Freeborn-Mower Cooperative Services (FMCS) is an independent electric utility incorporated under the laws of the state and controlled by the members who are served. Members have control over assets and operations through voting at the annual meeting and electing members at district meetings to serve on the cooperative's board of directors. As a nonprofit organization, we return all money above expenses to our members in the form of capital credits.
Cooperatives truly are the most democratic form of free enterprise in the country.
FMCS services members in Southern Minnesota (primarily rural Freeborn and Mower Counties) by providing electrical energy through approximately 2000 miles of power lines, both overhead and underground.